Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Roasted Vegetable Pasta with Garlic Yogurt Cream Sauce


Every once in a while, my random, thrown-together dinners turn out awesome. Tonight was one of those nights. I think it was the inspiration of the CSA produce we got today, which included some beautiful sweet peppers, broccoli, yellow squash, red onion, and green onions. I immediately wanted to get those onions caramelizing and roast up the rest, and once I got that started, I decided to toss it with some whole wheat pasta. I wanted a light, creamy sauce, and so I decided to try adding some yogurt and a bit of butter.

I think it turned out pretty amazing-- a mixture of textures and flavors, spicy and sweet and a little tangy all at once. Plus, it was filling and nutritious without being too heavy. I hope you like it, too.

1 head of broccoli
2 small sweet peppers
1 small yellow squash
1 red onion
3-4 green onions
2 cups whole wheat pasta, cooked and drained
1 tbsp butter, divided
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1/4 cup yogurt
1/4 tsp garlic, divided
1/8 tsp basil
1/8 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
parmesan cheese, for sprinkling (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash and slice peppers, broccoli, and squash into bite-sized pieces. Toss with 2 tbsp olive oil, a pinch of garlic and salt, and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
2. Meanwhile, melt 1/2 tsp butter into the remaining olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Slice the red onion thinly and saute until caramelized, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Optional: add in green onions and saute for an additional 3-4 minutes.
3. Toss pasta with remaining butter, spices, and yogurt. Add in onions and roasted vegetables, and toss again.

Serves two to three, dusted with parmesan cheese.

Did I get it all?

No comments:

Post a Comment