Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Homemade Pizza


I love pizza. But I'll admit it. I thought I didn't have time to make my own pizza dough, especially a tasty whole wheat dough. Then I saw this video by Fabio (from Top Chef, not romance novels), and I had to try it for myself, especially because we were getting tired of frozen and (expensive!) delivery pizza. (Plus, it's the best crust for breakfast pizza!)

What takes the most time is actually letting the dough rise, but it's just wait time, so you can watch an episode of 30 Rock or walk the dog or whatever you need to do while it rises. I modified the crust to include whole wheat flour for the health benefits, although some all-purpose is necessary to keep the crust from petrifying.

The first time I made it, I used all of the dough to make a single crust, but the pizza came out way too bread-like. The second time, I split the dough into two balls before letting it rise, and had the perfect amount to make two large pizzas. Fabio says to make it in a mixer with a hook attachment, but since I have no such luxury, I used a spatula to mix and then my hands to knead the dough.

1 packet (or ¼ oz.) dry active yeast
1 ½ cups water, warm but not hot
1 tsp. sugar
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (plus a few pinches for dusting)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Toppings:
16 oz. can whole plum canned tomatoes or 8 oz. can tomato paste
1 cup fresh mozzarella 
3-6 fresh mushrooms, sliced
3-4 fresh or canned artichoke hearts
1 clove garlic, chopped
10-12 fresh basil leaves
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
sprinkling of onion powder and/or oregano (optional)

1. In a stand mixer with the hook attachment (or a large bowl with some elbow grease), mix the yeast, water and sugar.
2. Add the flour in small amounts, mixing well between each addition.
3. When the dough is mixed well and not too sticky use a little oil to help remove it from the bowl. Form it into two balls, and place each on a lightly floured surface (I left one in the bowl) and cover with a dry towel. Let the dough rise for 30 minutes.
4. After the dough has rested, use one ball per pizza. I like to freeze one, then thaw and use it later. Transfer the ball of dough to a sheet tray or pizza stone, and use your hands to shape the dough (no rolling pin necessary).
5. Top with tomatoes crushed by hand, chunks of fresh mozzarella, basil leaves, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, and sea salt. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
6. Bake in a 400-degree oven until the crust around the edge is golden brown, about 20 minutes.

Serves two to three.

Your kittens may be sad at first...
...But don't worry; they'll find new box hangouts in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment