Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Vegetable Pancakes


I love potato pancakes. Maybe it's my German blood, or maybe it's because they're so darn tasty and crispy and lovely. But last Hanukkah, my family decided to make two versions: traditional potato latkes, and one with carrots and parsnips mixed in, for a healthier take. Everyone except my dad found the mixed veggie potatoes tastier, and so I resolved to make them this way from now on.

Enter the following recipe, originally published here. I whipped it out a few days ago, since recently we've had more sweet potatoes than we know what to do with. I shredded a sweet potato and a zucchini in my food processor, which made about four cups, so I decided not to add any regular potatoes at all. They came out really tasty, and even a little nutty since I was short an egg and used a flax seed mixture instead. This dish is vegetarian, but could be made vegan by swapping out all of the eggs this way.

2 cups shredded veggies
2 eggs
1 Tbsp whole-wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/6 tsp onion powder
dash of nutmeg and/or cayenne pepper (optional)
fresh black pepper, to taste
Olive oil for cooking
Applesauce (garnish)

1. Combine the shredded veggies with the eggs, flour, and spices. Mix thoroughly.
2. Heat a thin layer of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. It is important that the heat is the right temperature because you want the pancakes to cook all the way through the middle by the time they are brown on the outside.
3. Once the oil has heated up, add dollops of the veggie mixture into the pan. Cook for several minutes, until the bottom starts to brown. Then flip and repeat.
4. Transfer cooked pancakes to a plate lined with paper towels.
5. Garnish with applesauce and serve warm.

Serves 2–3 as a side (double the recipe to make enough for two as an entree).

Hey! Where's our panca-- ooh, dreidel!

No comments:

Post a Comment