Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pesto Tuna Pasta


I've been trying to cook more fish lately, because of its many benefits, and as a non-red-meat source of protein. I always keep a couple of cans of tuna on hand (wild skipjack, a.k.a "chunk light," from Wild Planet, one of several companies that have gone BPA-free), so this recipe was just something I threw together one night for dinner when I hadn't been to the store in too long. It was so tasty and easy, it's become a staple.

I use whole wheat pasta, of course, and I've tried it with penne as well as spaghetti. It works well either way. I've been growing rainbow chard in our backyard, so I always have a handfull or two of that to throw in, and when we get green onions from our CSA, I save the solid white parts at the bottom and replant them. They regenerate the green parts, so you can use them indefinitely. Sometimes I use kale in addition to chard, and I've also just thrown in broccoli, summer squash, frozen peas or whatever I have on hand. It's tasty, filling, and healthy. To make it vegetarian, leave out the tuna or sub in some seitan, and leave off the cheese for a vegan option.

8 oz. whole wheat pasta
1 5 oz. can skipjack/chunk light tuna, drained (lower mercury than albacore/solid white)
2 cups rainbow chard, stems and leaves, rinsed and chopped*
3-6 green onions, chopped
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 to 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp italian seasoning
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper or turmeric
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup pesto, store-bought or make your own
parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)

*Finely chop the stems of the chard-- don't throw them out! They add color and sweetness.

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Do not rinse.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the chard stems, and saute for one minute. Flake the tuna into the pan, and add the green onions and the rainbow chard leaves. Season with the spices and saute, stirring frequently, until greens are wilted but are still bright in color.
3. Stir the chard mixture into the pasta. Add the pesto and toss. Garnish with parmesan cheese and parsley.

Serves two.

Om nom nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment