Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Surprisingly Addictive Brussels Sprout Salad

Don't let the name freak you out. Brussels sprouts once elicited an emphatic ewwwww from me, until I unsuspectingly tried this recipe at my aunt and uncle's one Thanksgiving. This is the recipe-- and it's delicious!

It's the nutmeg, for me, that makes these Brussels sprouts borderline addictive. I like to serve this with roasted butternut squash (cut in half, 400 degree oven for 45 minutes, season with sea salt, fresh black pepper, and 1/2 tablespoon butter each). Sometimes I like to sprinkle it with parmesan cheese, although this would make it decidedly less vegan. Though I've only used this recipe as a side dish, a large portion could pass for a full meal, since it includes vegetable, fruit, and nut components. (By the way, have I mentioned that walnuts are a superfood?) It's light and healthy, yet satisfying. It also only takes about 10 minutes to prep and cook.

1 lb organic Brussels sprouts
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries

1. Shred the Brussels sprouts by thinly slicing.*
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the Brussels sprouts, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, until the Brussels sprouts are bright and slightly wilted.
3. Add the walnuts and cranberries, tossing to combine.

Note: The original recipe says to core the Brussels sprouts. Removing the core decreases the bitterness of the sprouts, but it's also wasteful, and when the core is sliced up, most of the bitterness will cook out anyway.

Serves four as a side dish, two as a main course. Original recipe here.

I have captured the sprout.

1 comment:

  1. Melanie, I've been doing some consulting work for the Cherry Marketing Institute and have discovered dried tart sweet cherries are delicious. I think I will try them in place of the dried cranberries next time I make this recipe.

    ReplyDelete